– 10 to 12 slices crusty bread
– 3/4 pound medium shrimp, shelled, deveined and finely chopped
– 4 water chestnuts, finely chopped
– 2 green onions, finely chopped
– 1 teaspoon grated ginger
– 1/2 tomato, finely chopped
– 1 teaspoon rice wine, dry sherry, or white rice vinegar
– 1 large egg, lightly beaten
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 2 teaspoons cornstarch
– 2 cups oil, or as needed
– 1/3 cup warm water
– In large bowl, combine the shrimp, water chestnuts, green onion, ginger, tomato,
– Heat the oil in a large wok over high until heat reaches 375°F.
– Meanwhile, prepare the bread. Place warm water in small bowl; submerge bread squares quickly in the water and remove. Squeeze out any excess water. Spread 1 to 2 teaspoons of the shrimp mixture onto each bread square.
– When the oil is hot, carefully slide the toast squares into the wok. Add small batches of bread at a time so that the temperature of the oil remains steady. Fry each side until browned, about 1 minute on each side. Remove from the wok with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve hot.